Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Brush Care

On the weekend I was crafting!  I needed to apply some gesso!  so I pulled out my brush box!  Wow!  I have a lot of brushes!  But a lot of them are 20 + years old!  I always took the time and cleaned them properly!

Acrylic paints are really hard on brushes!    I have used a number of products over the years to clean!  But I guess my favorite is my little jar of paint soap and the lid has texture for working the soap and paint from the bristles!  This weekend I couldn't find that so I just used my glycerin soap and my hand!  (I also was fond of Murphy's oil soap)

So here are some of my rules!

  •  often rinse while painting;  as soon as the paint gets less than 1/2 way up the fibers; I rinse!
  • lay flat to dry!
  • don't leave a brush standing in the water dish;  it bends the bristles
  • use cold water to wash the brushes!
Now I have another set for watercolor painting!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips on caring for your brushes I love Murphy's oil soap and fine it does a wonderful job even if the brushes have been left for a bit and gotten harden Murphy's oil soap will do wonders.

    ReplyDelete